Sunday, May 8, 2011

Peacock Robe

 I love the colors in peacock feathers, but I have very bad luck with them.  I had always wanted to do a peacock-inspired gown and was overjoyed when I found a beautiful blue/teal/purple brocade at Wal-Mart for $1 a yard (those were the days when Wal-Marts had fabric departments). Unfortunately, there were only three yards left on the bolt, so my treasure languished for a few years in my fabric horde.

When I was planning costumes for Portus 2008, I attended a garage sale and found a couple of of iridescent purple/teal/blue 72" wide heavy taffeta.  I didn't have the right trim, but I started on the gown anyway.  I managed to find the perfect trim and had to sew it on at the conference.  I generally travel with enough sewing supplies to almost make an outfit!

It is similar in style to my Hufflepuff robe, but the stiffness of the taffeta gives a very different look.  I shorted the train to a 18" sweep. I have not yet found the perfect gown to wear under the robe.

Front View

Back View

Side View

No comments:

Post a Comment